This scholarship is in memory of Carley Ann McCord who at 30, died in a plane crash in Lafayette on December 28, 2019. The plane was headed to the LSU vs. Oklahoma game in Atlanta, Georgia. Carley was a sports broadcast media professional in radio, television, and promotions. She worked for WDSU in New Orleans, Guaranty Media in Baton Rouge and Cox Sports. The LAB and WDSU felt that the most effective way to honor her memory was to give two $5,000 scholarships in her name to female students studying sports journalism to encourage the next generation to follow in her footsteps.
The purpose is:
- To support promising female sports journalism/broadcast students.
- To encourage a high standard of professionalism in the sports broadcasting industry.
- To promote a greater understanding of ethics and societal responsibility of communicators.
The LAB will make available up to two $5,000 scholarships.
Two female students that are enrolled and attending class fulltime in a communications curriculum at a Louisiana College or university will receive a $5,000 scholarship towards their college education.
To confirm eligibility, the winner will be required to provide LAB with documentation verifying enrollment status, as well as a copy of grades from previous semester – to ensure recipient meets grade point average requirements.
Applicants must meet these criteria:
- Enrolled and attending classes, fulltime, in a communications curriculum at a Louisiana college.
- Be classified as a full-time student in a communication degree.
- Enrolled in at least 12 hours each semester the scholarship is in effect.
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA and submit transcript of previous semester to verify.
- Complete the online application.
The LAB is accepting the Carley Ann McCord scholarship applications online.
Applications must be received by the LAB Office no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, January 29, 2021. If you are unable to register online, please contact Laura at the LAB Office at (225) 267-4522.
The scholarships will be awarded at the Prestige Awards, in the summer or fall of 2021 the exact location still to be determined, due to COVID-19.
Louisiana Association of Broadcasters has a keen interest in the excellence of broadcast education. Consistent with this goal and to lend tangible support, LAB & WDSU has established this scholarship in honor of Carley Ann McCord who believed in journalism and was a huge proponent in giving back to students.