WGNO News in New Orleans seeks an Assignment Desk Editor to join our news team. The Assignment Desk Editor is responsible for gathering information and coordinating news coverage across all WGNO News platforms.
Do you like planning coverage? Are you always looking ahead? This role is for our Assignment Desk which is the center of it all: breaking stories, assigning crews, and coordinating with broadcast/digital producers.
WGNO News is not your boring TV station. We are an aggressive and fast-paced newsroom determined to tell interesting stories and breaking news.
Apply if you are looking for an opportunity to coordinate assignments for news coverage, write compelling news stories, and engage with news content in a newsroom with a great vibe!
The ideal candidate will have solid news judgment, be able to multi-task and work in a high-stress, fast-paced environment. This is a great job for a go-getter looking to break into television news.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news and disseminate the information to appropriate newsroom personnel
- Coordinate and dispatch reporters and photographers to execute news coverage
- Conduct beat calls and contact public information officers to gather information
- Answer calls from viewers and develop possible story ideas
- Post stories to WGNO.com and WGNO social media sites
- Must be willing and able to work all shifts, including nights and weekends
- Assists in development, planning and follow-up of all news stories
- Edits video clips as assigned
- Writes stories for the web
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
- Performs other duties as assigned