Media – Journalism – Newspaper
Assignment Desk Mgr – 15169
WWL is searching for an Assignment Desk Manager to help lead our station in content gathering. The right person for this role is a journalist and master at handling breaking news. They maintain composure and know what steps to take as news is developing. They’re also a people leader with a track record of building and maintaining a high-performing team.
- Drive breaking news coverage through gathering information and handling crew logistics
- Develops and assigns news stories of the day and plans large news event coverage
- Reviews news releases, monitors police and fire scanners, and checks social media and other local news sources for story ideas
- Makes beat calls to maintain relationships with local agencies like police departments, courts, etc.
- Manages time and logistics to make sure the selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff
- Discovers content using online and social media resources as news researching tools
- Looks for new and innovate ways to deliver information relevant to our customers wherever they are (e.g. television, website, app, social media)
- Represent WWL in conversations with other media organizations about pool coverage and access issues
- College degree in journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 3-5 years in a local newsroom preferred
- Strong communication, conflict management, and customer service skills
- Efficient organizational skills in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Sound news judgment with the ability to work under tight deadlines and in stressful situations
- Extensive knowledge of social media, content gathering tools and technologies
- Ability to perform basic digital producing tasks like writing and copyediting
- Experience cultivating and develop working relationships with local newsmakers and their staff
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment.
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc
|Apply Online URL: