Website KARD, Nexstar Media Inc.
Your Weather Station
KTVE/KARD in West Monroe, LA is hiring a News Anchor for our Evening and Late weekday newscasts. This position is primarily Monday-Friday. The Anchor will present information in newscasts, produce newscasts, post content online, report special projects, and represent the station at community events. Strong editorial judgment, social media engagement, and live field anchoring/reporting skills are a must. It is essential that the ideal candidate be an effective, ethical newsroom leader. You must provide a link to your resume reel. NO phone calls.
- Anchor & produce a variety of newscasts
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories.
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects in order to isolate pertinent facts and details.
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
- Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community.
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas.
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions.
- Checks reference materials such as books, news files, or public records to obtain relevant facts.
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements.
Produce and present reports for all platforms.
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes stories for the on-air broadcasts, the web, and other digital platforms.
- Interacts with viewers/users in person and on social media sites.
- Mentor journalists in the newsroom
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
- Minimum five years’ experience in news reporting or anchoring.
- Superior on-air presence.
- Excellent news judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, news makers and issues.
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Anchor must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 35 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools, or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
To apply for this job please visit nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.