Website University of North Texas (UNT)
|Experience Requirement:||> 10 years|
|Description & Details|
Posting Title – KNTU General Manager
Department – University of North Texas – Media Arts Department
Job Location – Denton, TX
KNTU Description –
KNTU is housed in the Department of Media Arts in the University of North Texas (UNT) College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. The studios are in the Radio/TV/Film/Performing Arts (RTFP) Building on the UNT campus in Denton.
KNTU is licensed to the University of North Texas and is on the air 24 hours, every day of the year, broadcasting with 100,000 watts at 88.1 FM. The station’s format is primarily jazz, but often includes educational and special interest programming, including local news and sports.
KNTU’s staff is mostly student volunteers who get an opportunity to gain valuable broadcast experience in programming and production, news and sports announcing, sales and development, and station administration.
KNTU’s purpose is three-fold:
• To serve the public interest with news, public affairs, and entertainment programming for the McKinney, Denton, Dallas-Fort Worth area.
• To provide news and information of community interest about the University of North Texas.
• To provide an industry-standards environment in which students learn about radio broadcasting.
Position Overview –
The General Manager is responsible for the overall operation of radio station KNTU. Areas of responsibility include; radio station operations, fundraising, business operations, marketing, full-time staff/student worker supervision, and programming.
Minimum Qualifications –
Bachelor’s degree and 10 years management experience in a broadcast radio station environment.
Preferred Qualifications –
Progressively responsible radio station experience. Prior management and supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities –
• Strong working knowledge of industry standards and FCC rules and regulations.
• Considerable experience in a wide variety of professional radio assignments.
• Experience with non-commercial radio station fundraising; listener donations, underwriting, pledge drives, sales related activities.
• Strong communications, supervisory, and training skills.
• Knowledge of programming formats applicable to an educational radio station environment.
• Ability to work a schedule including some evenings, weekends and/or holidays and substitute shifts.
• Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed and work supervised.
Job Duties –
• Acts as the principal for any action or activity required to protect and maintain the broadcast license issued to KNTU/UNT by the Federal Communications Commission (license renewal, reporting, public files, compliance with license requirements, interface with legal counsel)
• Manage KNTU traffic logs and coordinate same with the operations manager.
• Monitor broadcast industry news publications, attend industry events to identify regulatory trends that may impact KNTU.
• Plan, create, implement fundraising activities (listener donations, underwriting, pledge drives) in accordance with institutional policies and procedures. Coordinate with UNT development staff as appropriate. Track donors.
• Manage the budget and various accounts using institutional budget reporting tools and in accordance with institutional and State of Texas rules. Assure proper processing of funds received. Provide preliminary approval of expenses in coordination with budget officers in the department/school/college.
• Act as the primary representative of KNTU to external entities such as governmental offices, businesses, civic organizations, other UNT units, especially Athletics and Learfield/IMG College.
• Within UNT System and Denton campus regulations, negotiate certain types of contacts and then coordinate with appropriate offices for review and approval.
• Plan, create, implement marketing plans using traditional and digital/social media platforms. May coordinate with University-level marketing office or involve students or interns with the marketing process.
• Hire, train, supervise, evaluate full-time staff in accordance with institutional policies and procedures. Approve time and labor requests and records. Create a team atmosphere for success.
• Hire and supervise KNTU student staff members, understanding the dual role of staffing the station’s operations and training UNT students for their future careers. Approve time worked when listed as the immediate supervisor and insure that other supervisors fulfill their responsibilities.
• Oversee production of some programming and coordinate with KNTU operations manager to define and develop programming ideas.
Work Schedule –
Monday thru Friday, 8-5, some nights and weekends as needed.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.untsystem.edu.