It’s fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they are doing!
Are you a now producer, with a hungry rundown, full of urgent and impactful news? Do you excel at winning breaking news and weather coverage on-air and online?
We need a career-oriented producer with great writing skills, a knack for showcasing content and attention to detail, and a strong sense of urgency.
The right candidate understands local news, can enterprise stories, and enjoys the hectic pace of a newsroom.
Above all, we’re looking for someone with an optimistic outlook and a winning attitude to lead our evening newscasts.
If so – WGNO in New Orleans is looking for a dynamic producer to join the team. The successful candidate should consistently produce a show that stands out as best in their market. You should know how to “produce up” a story. You should live and breathe social media and thrive at integrating it into your shows.
A Bachelor’s degree is required.
• Be creative and create compelling and memorable newscasts
• Write creative headlines and teases
• Maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and local contacts
• Search wire services, network feeds, websites and social media to find relevant material for newscasts
• Collaborate with news operations staff to build graphics
• Work with directors and anchors on presentation of stories
• Clear, concise, conversational writing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrate solid news judgment
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Research and brainstorm story ideas, present ideas in editorial meetings
• Generate promotable story ideas daily
• Post and update stories to station website and social media sites, engage viewers
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Write news stories
• Assist producers in formatting other newscasts
Essential Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of newsroom software
• Knowledge of web posting software
• Strong research skills, including online research using various search engines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Knowledge of engaging on social media
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less experienced staff members; guide others to get the desired outcome
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment; work well with co-workers
• Edit video and audio on industry standard equipment
• Build graphics and use effectively in shows
• Handle and adjust to last-minute changes
• Make quick, accurate decisions during the on-air process
The position offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package, including group health & dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you’ll enjoy your career with us!
To apply for this job please visit nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.