WGNO-TV, the ABC affiliate in this sports crazy Saints, Pelicans, LSU Tigers, and Tulane Green Wave market, has a rare opening in our Sports Department. We are looking for a Sports MMJ-Photographer.
This is a great opportunity to join a growing sports department in a mega rich sports town.
We are committed to sports. In addition to our daily sports coverage, we are gearing up for our 32nd year of Friday Night Football this fall! Our one-hour FNF show is the premier show for high school sports. We also produce a weekly 30-minute SportsZone show. This airs on Friday night on our sister station, WNOL-TV.
The successful candidate will be someone who loves and understands sports and who can connect with the community, both on TV and digitally, through superior game/event coverage and by telling the stories of local athletes, teams and coaches on the high school, college, and pro level. The ideal candidate must also be skilled at shooting video of NFL and college football.
This position requires an individual capable of doing it all. The Sports MMJ will shoot, edit, produce and report/anchor their content. Must be active and knowledgeable of social media with the expectation that content will be updated on WGNO.com, Facebook, and Twitter. The Sports MMJ will perform work for all media platforms and initiatives, including on-air, web, digital, and social media.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reports, shoots, and edits sports stories in a clear and concise manner
- Researches, reports, and covers sporting events, sports news, and sports feature stories with an intense focus on high school football, college, and professional teams
- Work closely with the sports team to develop and plan comprehensive sports coverage
- Deliver live reports in the field
- Write stories for the station’s website
- Interact with viewers and users on social media platforms
- Respond to breaking sports events and other urgent newsroom situations as required
- Participate in promotional activities including public appearances
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of sports and sports related activities
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to effectively listen, fully understand problems, and communicate with a team to shape a solution
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Must have flexibility with scheduling due to the ever-changing nature of sports journalism.