The LAB will make available up to $8,000 annually towards the Broadcast Scholarship Program. Two students enrolled and attending class full-time in a broadcast curriculum at a Louisiana four-year college will receive equivalent to $2,000 per semester, totaling $4,000 for the academic year. Eligible students can be in any broadcasting, mass communication, broadcast engineering or journalism major and/or work for a radio or TV station to apply. Student’s intentions are to pursue their career in the broadcasting industry whether on or off screen, including reporter, anchor, producer, announcer, show host, video editing, graphic developer, camera crew etc.
By endorsing quality education for potential broadcasters, the members of the Louisiana Association of Broadcasters believe they are guaranteeing the future quality of broadcasting in Louisiana. The LAB has established a scholarship fund to aid in the higher education of promising students. The purpose is:
- To support potential and commitment in promising future broadcasters;
- To encourage a high standard of professionalism in the industry;
- To foster a strong relationship between higher education and the profession; and
- To promote a greater understanding of journalistic ethics and societal responsibility of broadcasters.
Applicants must meet these criteria:
- Enrolled and attending classes, full-time, in a mass communication curriculum at a Louisiana four-year college with the intent to pursue a career in broadcasting;
- Be classified as a junior or senior in a four-year college
- Enrolled in at least 12 hours each semester the scholarship is in effect;
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA and submit transcript of previous semester grades to verify
- Submit at least two letters of recommendation from a college professor, broadcasters and/or other business person
- Submit a letter signed by your Department Head certifying you meet all eligibility criteria
- Submit a resume
- Complete online application inlcuding essay
Previous winners are eligible.
Financial need may be considered; applicants are asked to indicate how their education is being funded.
Judges will consider depth of thought, clarity of expression and commitment to broadcasting as primary. Extracurricular activities, community involvement and legibility also will be considered.
The scholarship program reflects the LAB’s commitment to the principal of non-discrimination. No applicant will be discrimination against on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or age.
To confirm eligibility, winners will be required to provide:
- Documentation verifying enrollment status
- Copy of grades from the previous semester to ensure recipient meets grade point average requirements.
Checks will be made payable to school for the following fall and spring semesters or, if graduating, towards student loan. (Not payable to individual).
Winners must produce a 30 second radio and tv commercial spot to promote the next year’s 2024 scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will be announced at the 2023 LAB Prestige Awards.
The LAB is accepting all scholarship applications online. You will need to have your resume, essay, recommendation letters and department head statement before you fill out your online application as you will need to upload them during the process.
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59pm on Friday, January 27th, 2023.
Louisiana Association of Broadcasters has a keen interest in the excellence of broadcast education. Consistent with this goal and to lend tangible support, the LAB has established this scholarship program to encourage students of the highest caliber to enter broadcasting as a career and to seek the bet quality education in the field. We sincerely want to see broadcasting as a profession, be passed on to qualified outstanding men and women.