WAFB-TV is seeking an Assistant News Director. WAFB-TV, home of some of the highest-rated newscasts in the entire country, has a rare opening on our news management team. As Assistant News Director, you will help to guide our daily coverage and be a part of our ongoing strategic planning.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Day-to-day management of the newsroom, helping to coordinate coverage on all platforms with a digital-first approach.
- Assist the News Director with recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training news team.
- Help research, gather and proof/check news stories for on-air and online.
- Assist in daily script reviews.
- Run morning editorial meetings and supervise the story selection process. Assist with assignments and guide reporters on daily story pitches.
- Plan special events, promotions, special reports, and other assigned projects.
- Be willing to learn or possess a broad knowledge of the viewing area, including people, places, things, and history.
- This is a dayside position but must have the flexibility to work any shift, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Excellent editorial judgement.
- A winning mentality, with the ability to identify and “own” the days big stories.
- Able to lead and train news producers to create award-winning newscasts.
- Able to make quick decisions and handle breaking news calmly and as a team leader.
- Able to multi-task and oversee news on numerous platforms.
- Able to fill in in the absence of the News Director, maintaining a positive newsroom culture.
- Ability to oversee legal and ethical issues in the news-gathering process.
- 3 or more years in broadcast journalism or equivalent, with an emphasis on candidates with experience as an assistant news director or executive producer. Bachelor’s degree, or higher, is preferred.
- Must have the ability to produce a newscast.
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter, and references
To apply for this job please visit gray.tv.