Write and report for WGNO’s digital platforms, then head to the French Quarter, the beaches of the Gulf Coast, or sit back and enjoy our culture, food, and music in New Orleans!
WGNO is looking for a DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER who loves the fast pace of news and finding the most compelling way to present the day’s stories.
This is not an on-air position.
The Digital Content Producer will produce print-style reporting with an emphasis on data and government accountability. You’ll also manage our website content on weekends.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Pitch and write enterprise stories
- Attend news events, including government meetings
- Post stories, video, and audio and manage content on WGNO.com and WGNO’s social media platforms
- Confirm stories while developing sources to regularly break news
- Clip videos from newscasts
- Other duties as assigned
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and leads winning strategy for station content
- Reviews copy and will correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Be the first to report breaking news stories; monitor analytic tools, RSS feeds, social media, alerts, all regional media for interesting and/or trending stories
- Write daily “flip” stories (avg. 10 stories+/day) that are packaged in a way that grows pages per session and time on page while utilizing SEO best practices to grow website search traffic
- Constantly monitor competition to ensure no “flip” stories across the DMA are missed
- Post, package, and promote stories from third-party feed partners (Nexstar, AP, ABC, etc.)
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience, or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social, or other functions
- Pitches on-brand local and trending stories during morning meetings
- Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
- Shoots and edits content for on-air and digital
- Work with producers and news field crew on adding video to web stories (when applicable)
- Manage passive livestreams (when applicable)
- Push engaging and breaking stories on mobile app (when applicable)
- Proficiency in AP Style writing
- Ability to generate high engagement social media posts with link click-throughs
- Excels in fast-paced, sometimes high-pressure, work environment with accurate, visual, in-depth, digital coverage
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent news judgment
- Ability to multi-task; flexible with schedule in times of breaking news, severe weather, etc.
- Possesses journalistic integrity and understanding of viewer needs and expectations
- Can communicate, coordinate, and collaborate with other members of the newsroom
- Must be able to work well under deadline pressure
- Must understand the importance of using social media to grow our audience and keep them engaged
- Must demonstrate solid news judgment
- Must have attention to detail, copy editing, grammatical and basic writing skills
- Must have strong people and leadership skills to work with everyone in the newsroom and station
- Degree in journalism or relevant field; daily newspaper or news site experience required; live, working web samples and/or print pages preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
High stress, high energy environment with deadline pressures. Valid Driver’s License required. Some travel may be required on rare occasions.