A full-time Digital Content Producer (DCP) writes, updates, and shares stories ranging from local news flips to breaking and nationally trending stories for wgno.com with the goal of growing website pageviews and users.
A DCP is a passionate writer and leader who takes initiative and thinks critically and independently. As the first person to get real-time news out to the DMA a DCP’s deadline is always now.
This is a position evaluated by pageviews, time on page, pages per session, and bounce metrics. Candidate must prioritize growing wgno.com’s web/app traffic while balancing/maintaining journalistic integrity.
• Degree in journalism or relevant field; daily newspaper or news site experience required; live, working web samples and/or print pages preferred
• Proficiency in Associated Press style, Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Basic HTML preferred
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develops and leads winning strategy for station content
• Expert understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms
• Reviews copy and will correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Be the first to report breaking news stories; monitor analytic tools, RSS feeds, social media, alerts, all regional media for interesting and/or trending stories
• Write daily “flip” stories (avg. 10 stories+/day) that are packaged in a way that grows pages per session and time on page while utilizing SEO best practices to grow website search traffic
• Constantly monitor competition to ensure no “flip” stories across the DMA are missed
• Post, package, and promote stories from third-party feed partners (Nexstar, AP, ABC, etc.)
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches on-brand local and trending stories during morning meetings
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Shoots and edits content for on-air and digital
• Proofread, package, and promote broadcast reporter stories
• Work with producers and news field crew on adding video to web stories (when applicable)
• Manage passive livestreams (when applicable)
• Push engaging and breaking stories on mobile app (when applicable)
• Generate meaningful audience engagement on social media without baiting (when applicable)
• Develop new digital content ideas for wgno.com
• Proficiency in AP Style writing and SEO best practices
• Clever headline writer that gets readers to click
• Ability to generate high engagement social media posts with link click-throughs
• Familiar with Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Social Flow, and WordPress
• Excels in fast-paced, sometimes high-pressure, work environment with accurate, visual, in-depth, digital coverage
• Comfortable with cold calling to develop stories
• Highly detail-oriented with excellent newsroom judgment
• Ability to multi-task; flexible with schedule in times of breaking news, severe weather, etc.
• High digital aptitude in respect to latest CMS and social media updates and trends
• Takes initiative to seek out and understand new digital news applications and resources
• Possesses journalistic integrity and understanding of viewer needs and expectations
• Can communicate, coordinate, and collaborate with other members of the newsroom
• Must be able to work well under deadline pressure
• Must take an active role in discovering and creating new content for the site; including stories, photos, videos, etc.
• Must understand the importance of using social media to grow our audience and keep them engaged
• Must be able to work autonomously and be self-motivated
• Must demonstrate solid news judgment
• Must have attention to detail; copy editing, grammatical and basic writing skills
• Must have strong people and leadership skills to work with everyone in the newsroom and station
• Be able to use SEO effectively to improve website traffic
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
High stress, high energy environment with deadline pressures. Valid Driver’s License required. Some travel may be required on rare occasions.
To apply for this job please visit nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.